Have you ever gone to a department store with a total makeup transformation on your mind? Let me guess what happened next. You had a makeover, loved it, and purchased every single product they used. Then, you got it home, felt overwhelmed, placed it in a drawer, and forgot about everything except the lipstick and mascara as those are the products you felt confident enough to put on without feeling stressed. Maybe it is just me, but I can’t count the number of times I have done that. Perhaps my example is a bit extreme as I have used the foundation, powder, blush, etc. but more often than not, the eye shadow stays entirely unused in its little compact. Does that stop me from buying it? Absolutely not. I am a junkie. I crave a new makeup fix on a regular basis.
So, recently, after a long hard look in the mirror at my 48-year-old face and a few cringe-worthy thoughts about some recent photos where my face looks fat I decided enough was enough, I was going to learn how to contour my face and finally learn how to apply eye makeup.
So, late on a Sunday afternoon, I drove to m local Nordstrom to check out Charlotte Tilbury. Now, if you have ever read my blog, you know I am an Armani girl. I love their entire line from the face and eye creams to my super fav product, their Luminous Foundation. But, my good friend Kelly who always looks polished with glowing skin raves about Charlotte Tilbury.
I was fortunate that when I arrived, the mall was quiet, and I had the Charlotte Tilbury rep, Lisa, all to myself. In a matter of about 20 minutes, the transformation was complete. I was in awe of how quickly and easily, Lisa transformed my face. I know what you are thinking, because it was the same thing I was, she is a professional, and there is no way I can do this at home. But Lisa walked me through the products she used, showed me step by step how to apply them, and also suggested the videos on the Charlotte Tilbury site. Once she broke it down and explained the process, it became apparent that the entire line is designed to make it easy. The eye makeup is literally foolproof in that it is based on a 4 step process and each eye palette follows the same simple formula.
When Lisa started, I admit I felt slightly overwhelmed by the process but by the time she was finished, I felt empowered. I felt confident I could do it at home by myself. And I did. I was so excited when I got home I couldn’t wait to apply the makeup and re-create the looks myself. It was actually fun instead of stressful. Each time I got a little bit better.
I started with an everyday look; Pillow Talk and then tried Rocker Chick and then Uptown Girl which ended up being my favorite. My advice is to try the entire look “as is” as the color selections on eyes, cheeks, and lips are designed to be complimentary. I will admit I freaked about the coral-like lipstick (Bitch Perfect) with Uptown Girl, refusing to try it at first until Lisa talked me off the ledge, reminding me I could take it off immediately. Much to my surprise, I LOVED it. I would have never tried it as I like a simple brown/pink, but it completed the look giving it an unbelievably polished appearance.
And let me add there is something different about these products, the ingredients, and the line. I loved everything I purchased, but here are my top picks.
- Magic Vanish This goes on so smoothly and counteracts under-eye darkness.
- The Feline Flick Liquid Liner This is the easiest liquid eyeliner I have ever used!
- Rockin Kohl Liner. This liner stays put even on my deep-set eyes.
- Life-Changing Lashes I actually made fun of the fact that I had lived 48 years without a rose gold eyelash curler. Let me tell you it is a game-changer. I tried one eye with it and the other without it is insane how much length it creates.
- Hollywood Contour Wand This is the one product that I wanted most but found most intimidating because let’s face it bad contouring looks terrible. I discovered it isn’t nearly as difficult as I thought I just needed someone to show me how and where to put the dark shade and then how to complement it with the highlighter. My favorite new trick with this is to use it on my eyelids as it makes them darker and therefore my eyes much bigger. Even with no other makeup on it is a great 30-second enhancement.
- Hollywood Beauty Light A few easy tricks with this highlighter and you will see your face transform!
- Magic Cream Pors vanish and, this cream gives your skin a dewy glow.
- Brow Lift in Super Model This is my #1 fav product. It is the perfect blend between a powder and a pencil. It fills in your brows, framing your face, without the overdrawn appearance of a true pencil. Like the contour on the eyes, it is a great 30-second fix when you are running out the door.
So, by now you are probably getting the feeling I am obsessed with this line. If you have ever shared my experience of wanting a new look but leaving a department store with hundreds of dollars with new makeup and no new look, give Charlotte Tilbury a try. I have been so happy with the line and I couldn’t wait to share my discovery with you!
P.S. Congrats to Nordstrom on the grand opening of their new flagship in NYC on 10/24!